During the last few years the PTFA have raised money for: 7 new touchscreen interactive whiteboards, subscriptions to Phonics Play, Busy Ants etc., reading books, school equipment, visitors to the school e.g. Y3 Viking man and much more.
Sadly since March due to COVID-19, all our large fundraising events have had to be cancelled. This has left a gap of between £8-10k in funds. If no funds are raised towards the funding of the Chromebooks, we would be left with around £1,000 in the PTFA account (which is far under what we require for annual school commitments).
Pre-COVID in February, the PTFA agreed to fund 32 Chromebooks for school (totalling £8,959.72) with the assumption that we would have the summer fete and winter ball to recover the costs for other normal school funding requests. Due to Lockdown and normal school life freezing these were not purchased at the time.
The Chromebooks are still very much in need and in some ways even more so due to remote learning and classes needing to stay in COVID-safe bubbles.
The benefits of purchasing Chromebooks:
- Using Chromebooks will give children access to current technology - this can only benefit their learning in primary school and beyond
- Buying in 32 Chromebooks will allow children to work independently during computing lessons. Currently they are often working with a partner, which is beneficial in that they can support one another, but can make it hard to assess their learning.
- Google software is free for schools (Google Classroom, Google Docs, Google Forms etc.)
- With a Chromebook, all programs are accessed through the Internet (or downloaded for use in offline mode), and all data is saved to the Cloud, so no need for large amounts of data space or RAM.
- The Chromebooks are easy to sign in to (they can sync to the children's login) and as they load up very quickly, there is less waiting around time compared to a desktop PC.
- Having Chromebooks on a trolley, and eventually discontinuing the use of desktop PCs, helps free a whole room in the school, as computing lessons would be able to take place in the classroom. This space could then be freed up for other uses.
- The use of this trolley will save time cleaning down the current IT suite.
- By using the Chromebooks within class bubbles it will reduce cross contamination with students going to the current IT suite.
- Chromebooks have layers of data encryption (they're secure!).
- They have a long lasting battery life, so they can be used for long periods without charge.
Find out more about Chromebooks in this short video:
Due to the urgent requirement from school and the supply and demand issue which is happening worldwide, we have made the decision to go ahead with placing this order.
We are intensely aware of the financial pressures people are facing at the moment, and would like to ask anyone that is able, to donate to this educational need for the children who attend West Hill Primary School. Perhaps this could be the money you would normally spend at our summer fete, winter ball, or the cost of a takeaway. Any donations, large or small will make a significant difference.
Lastly, thank you! Without each and every one of your support, we would not have the outstanding school and students that we do. 2020 has not been an easy year for anybody and it looks like it may continue into the near future, but on a positive note, we would like to share our appreciation for the recent support and involvement shown to the PTFA and school community.